Created by an Intel CEO in the 1970s and adopted by Google a year after its creation, this methodology fosters companies' growth.
The most innovative companies use OKRs in their daily management: Google, Amazon, Linkedin, Airbnb, Netflix, Twitter, Facebook, Uber, Microsoft, Samsung, Dropbox, Spotify, and Panasonic. Mentioning them is a guarantee of effectiveness.
However, it is important to clarify that its use is not exclusive to large technology firms; organizations of all sizes and industries apply them or could if their purpose is to improve the efficiency and productivity of the teams.
What is the secret?
It is a practical and direct methodology that establishes continuous improvement and permanent feedback. Above all, it incorporates each team member to actively participate in defining the objectives, unlike other methods in which the people who lead teams establish them vertically.
This participation allows individuals to be involved, feel part of the results achieved, be permanently motivated to fulfill the objectives, and work as a team.
Objectives and key results (OKR) is a framework for managing objectives that help organizations to align their efforts in the same direction and facilitates healthy growth through:
Martin Poncio, Head of Agile CoE, DirecTV Latam, argues that
But he warns that
Differences with traditional management by objectives
TRADITIONAL MANAGEMENT BY OBJECTIVES
- Lack of inspiration, motivation, and clarity on what to do or why to do certain things.
- Frustration at wasting time and energy on matters that do not prosper.
- Failure to fulfill commitments.
- Difficulty in prioritizing and focusing on key issues.
- Departments with objectives on conflict, overlapping or having unaligned dependencies.
- Difficulty in aligning management and teams.
- Our customers are satisfied since we have a great capacity to listen and adapt our products to their changing needs.
- We feel more motivated and committed, being protagonists of the objectives and collaborating among teams to create synergy.
- We have goals that inspire us and give us the freedom to create and achieve extraordinary results, growing healthily and sustainably.
Benefits of implementing OKRs
Beyond management by objectives, this methodology allows us to:
- Focus on what we need to do to succeed.
- Make visible what stops us from growing.
- Improve our way of working in cycles of a maximum of one quarter, with meaningful measures of progress.
- Encourage cultural transformation through motivation, transparency, autonomy, and empowerment of teams.
Ingrid Astiz, CEO & co-founder of Wise Work (part of the Oxean ecosystem) and Agile specialist, highlights that
If your company needs to have a greater impact on the expected results, involving the whole team, OKRs is the right methodology for you.
accompanies organizations on this path.
You can also contact us :